WHO Fact sheet N°286: Measles
– Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available.
– In 2010, there were 139 300 measles deaths globally – nearly 380 deaths every day or 15 deaths every hour.
– More than 95% of measles deaths occur in low-income countries with weak health infrastructures.
– Measles vaccination resulted in a 74% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2010 worldwide.
– In 2010, about 85% of the world’s children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 72% in 2000.