DoD Launches Review of Lab Procedures Involving Anthrax
WASHINGTON, May 29, 2015 – The Defense Department is launching a comprehensive review of its laboratory procedures, processes, and protocols associated with inactivating spore-forming anthrax…Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work today ordered the review after consulting with Defense Secretary Ash Carter…
No Risk to the General Public
There is no known risk to the general public and an extremely low risk to lab workers from the department’s inadvertent shipments of inactivated samples containing small numbers of live anthrax to several laboratories, according to the release.
As of now, 24 laboratories in 11 states and two foreign countries are believed to have received suspect samples, the release said.
The department is working closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who is leading the ongoing investigation pursuit to its statutory authorities, the release said.
Monitoring the Situation
The department will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates to the public, the release said.
In addition to the CDC review, Work ordered all DoD laboratories that have these materials to test all previously inactivated spore-forming anthrax in the inventory, the release said.
DoD also is advising labs that received inactive anthrax from the department to stop working with those samples until further instruction from the DoD and CDC…